HONG KONG — May 5, 2023 — Crystal International Group Limited (“Crystal International” or the “Group”) published the fourteenth Sustainability Report that summarises the positive steps and efforts made in 2022. With the accomplishments of the Third 5-year Sustainability Targets, the Report illustrates how the Group spearheaded sustainability in the industry by progressing Crystal Net Zero 2050, forging ahead with the next milestone Crystal Sustainability Vision 2030, and accelerating innovation for manufacturing excellence.
The Report covers Crystal International’s sustainability vision, strategies, key initiatives, achievements, and performance in 2022. It is in compliance with the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) disclosure requirements of Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKEX) as well as with reference to the GRI Standards.
Key Highlights of the Report
Progress in 2022 of Third Global 5-Year Sustainability Targets (2018 – 2022):
- Reduced 33% freshwater intensity vs 2017 base year
- Reduced 17% carbon intensity vs 2017 base year
- 3.03 million trees planted since 2007
- Empowered over 54,300 women through CARE programme
- 67,600 volunteering hours
*All targets are achieved
Crystal Sustainability Vision 2030 – Impact for Better
- Aims at creating positive impact on 11 areas across Nature, People and Community, such as climate, circularity, women empowerment, wellness, volunteering, etc.
- Referenced the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- 24/7-operating smart warehouse in Vietnam denim factory, reduced 50% of the manpower, enhanced productivity and efficiency
- From design to delivery – digitalised throughout the entire product-realisation process
- Enterprise software system transformation – launched the module for accounting and financial management
- Developed net zero roadmap
- Expanded rooftop solar PV, Group’s total capacity reached 7.8 MW
- Implemented 112 energy-saving measures, saved 3-5% energy in each factory
- Launched MyBluPrint carbon calculator for denim jeans
- Reduced freshwater use by 70% to 90% with water-efficient washing technologies and smart laundry
- Achieved zero landfill of operational waste in China and Vietnam factories
- Sustainable and net zero products, e.g.
Net Zero Jeans certified by Hong Kong Quality Assurance Agency (HKQAA)
- Wash Minus- Collection with Ionic+ Technology, reducing the need of home laundry by 70%
- Sustainable and net zero products, e.g.
- Applied greener chemistries, 90% ZDHC MRSL Level 3 conformance chemicals in lifestyle wear factory in China and fabric mill in Vietnam
- Received sustainable materials certifications, e.g. BCI, GOTS, GRS, OCS, REPREVE in more than 90% of the global factories
- 10,899,281 hours of people trainings – comprehensive talent cultivation covering all job levels, e.g.
- Self-developed Knits College online platform to learn industry and financial knowledge through 89 online courses
- Created managerial learning and development curriculum, e.g. Situational Leadership, Everything DiSC, executive training by Ivey Business School
- Better Work High Performance Factory: two factories in Vietnam
- Gender equality and women empowerment
- Provided digital P.A.C.E training to women employees and extended it to workers in four Vietnam subcontractors
- Organised anti-sexual harassment trainings and campaigns through mobile app and CARE Australia’s “Gender Equality Today for a Sustainability Tomorrow” project
- Caring for our employees
- Collaborated with customers to support working parents in China and Vietnam factories and their children (e.g. WeCare programme by the Centre for Child Rights and Business)
- Worker Voice Programmes to improve social dialogue
- Caring for community
- Contributed USD515,000 and 11,850 man-hours via community activities, education and environmental stewardship
- Contributed in-kind donations, e.g. air-conditioners and water heaters to neighbouring kindergartens in Vietnam, benches and solar-powered lights to a high school in Cambodia, and energy-efficient LED light bulbs to local communities
- Leased premise area of the Cambodia factory as hawker stall space to 32 local street sellers for free
Awards and Recognition:
Received nearly 70 global and local awards in 2022, including
- Hong Kong Management Association (HKMA) Hong Kong Sustainability Award 2022 – Distinction Award (Large Organisation Category)
- Hong Kong ESG Reporting Awards (HERA) 2022 Best ESG Report – Mid-cap – Grand Award, Commendation for the Carbon Neutral Award, and Commendation for Excellence in Social Positive Impact
- HKMA 2022 Best Annual Reports Awards – Certificate of Excellence in ESG Reporting
- Carbon Neutral, and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certified – Headquarters
- HR Asia Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2022
The Sustainability Report 2022 is now available for download at the Sustainability Report section of the Group’s corporate website.
Posted: May 16, 2023
Source: Crystal International Group Limited